5 Things to do when you find a lump
By Dr Cordula Winkler
- Don’t panic – take a deep breath.
- Make an appointment with a general surgeon. After your examination, the surgeon will remove a small piece of the lump in order to examine its cause.
- You will be referred for a mammogram or breast sonar.
- Take some time before you make any decisions. Get a second opinion and discuss all treatment options. These include a lumpectomy and full mastectomy. Ask fo a referral to a plastic surgeon to discuss your reconstructive options.
- Rally support. Reach for Recovery is an organistaion that provides a wide network of support services. They can be contacted on 083 306 1941 (Cape Peninsula) or 082 357 0497 (Stellenbosch/Somerset West). Visit www.reach4recovery.org.za for more info.