The Naked Thruth

09:06 09 June in The Naked Truth

Your questions answered


We received this question from a concerned father:


Q: “My 16 year-old son seems to be getting breast-like developments on his chest. My wife and I have noticed that this is clearly bothering him as he is swimming in a T-shirt and wears jackets and jerseys even when it is hot outside. Is there anything that can be done to treat this condition?”



A: Thank you for being so sensitive to your son’s development. The condition you are describing is called Gynaecomastia – the development of excessive breast tissue in males. It is a fairly common condition and easily treated. A consultation with a plastic surgeon will determine whether the breast tissue is glandular in nature – true Gynaecomastia – or simply fat deposits on the chest. If it is glandular tissue, it will need to be surgically removed. A skilled plastic surgeon will place the incisions on the nipple junction to avoid visible scarring and cut out the breast tissue. If it is fat deposits on the chest, the fat can be removed with liposuction. It would be best to arrange a consultation where photos will be taken and then sent to medial aid for possible approval.